Jan 31, 2011

Street Photography

by Amy Leavitt

I'm fascinated by street photography. There are no rules. It's an unknown adventure.
The great street photographers can find truth or beauty in places where we never thought they could exist. It's unplanned, it's unpredictable. Nothing could happen. Anything could happen. Garry Winogrand explained it this way, "Photography is about finding out what can happen in the frame. When you put four edges around some facts, you change those facts."
Leon Levinstein, an unsung hero of New York street photography, has created some of the most powerful images of New York - without sentimentality or structure. He said if you ask someone to take their picture, the picture's ruined.

Walker Evans hid his camera in his coat and took photos through a buttonhole.

Lartigue started his astonishing collection of photos at the age of 7.

When I visited New York this past summer, I got caught up in street photography and it became an obsession while we were walking to and fro. I literally shot from the hip. I kept my camera on my shoulder and shot away. I don't equate these with the masters listed above. But just for fun, some of my more interesting shots:



I've had the urge lately to go out and photograph Las Vegas. Like Ken Lamug. I want to capture it the way many photographers have captured New York. Anyone up for it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great article Amy. These images of yours makes me want to go to New York even more! I have thought so many times how I'd love to photograph Las Vegas, but I didn't know how to do it to where the people didn't know I was shooting them. Now I know how. "Shooting from the hip". Duh! I really would love to do this with you some time. ~Cindy L.